Process Designer basics
This article covers everything you need to know about the elements you can see and utilize in a process canvas.
As a first step, let's clarify some terms:
- process flow: a visual workflow diagram of all the actions and relations involved;
- actions: process flows are made up of actions connected by relations. Each action either pulls data into PROCESIO, or pushed data out of PROCESIO, or transforms the data within PROCESIO;
- relations: arrows between actions; these arrows not only connect the actions but also tell you how the data is flowing;
- canvas: the surface (screen) where you work with actions and relations to create process flows
Topbar provides access to elements such as rename your process, notifications center, process errors, and set process notifications.
Sidebar gives you easy access to Process Variables, Credentials Manager, and Webhooks.
Help Center will provide you with easy access to documentation, chat and use cases inspiration.
Toolbar and actions
Every process flow begins with a Start action available by default on canvas when initiating a new process.
Drag action from Toolbar on canvas and connect it to Start action. Drag relations between actions to pass the data.
Every branch of the process must end with a Stop action in order to have a valid process flow. One Stop action is by default on canvas. If you have several branches, drag more Stop actions from Toolbar.
The new process starts off as a blank canvas. The Start and Stop actions are by default available on canvas. Start dragging and connecting actions to build your process flow.
Actions can be found in the Toolbar (left-hand sidebar). You can search for actions using the search bar, or you can explore the Toolbar's categories.
In the Platform Actions tab, you will find actions designed and created by PROCESIO, while in the Custom Actions tab you will find the actions created by you using the Create Custom Action capability.
Select the action you need to use, drag and drop it anywhere on the canvas.
In order to configure the action's settings, click on it and the Properties Panel will open on the righthand side. Once you have made the settings, make sure to click Save changes.
Some actions have the Test Action section. Use it in order to test the configurations made.
Duplicate, Delete and Save action as a template
When right-clicking on an action, you will see a menu:
Click on Duplicate icon, to duplicate an action. It will automatically receive the name "action name (+1). You can change it in action setting.
Click on Delete icon, to delete an action from the process flow. You can also hit the "delete" key on your keyboard to delete the action.
Click on Save action as a template to save the action for future uses:
- a panel will open where you will have to give it a name and select or create the folder to store the action in, by checking the Save credentials in template checkbox you will also save the credential that was set
- the template will be saved under the Call Api Action
Drag relations between actions to tell PROCESIO how to pass the data across the actions.
You can also hit the delete key on your keyboard to delete the action.
Now you are ready to go to the next article that will walk you through the steps of creating a process.